Trickle Q & A


Q.  What does it mean to trickle your water?

A.  Trickle is a small stream of water from a faucet that is purposefully left running during the winter to prevent pipes from freezing.


Q.  What is an alternative to the trickle method?

A.  Have your water shut off completely and have your pipes drained – also known as winterizing.


Q.  What is a trickle credit?

A.  Trickle credit gives customers a break on their utility bill, since it is likely the usage will be higher in a trickle quarter.  If the bill in the following quarter reflects a higher usage due to trickle, a credit is applied to that bill.  Anyone is eligible to receive the trickle credit, as long as their bill reflects the usage requirements to receive it AND the Village of Birchwood issues a statement that trickle conditions are in effect within the Village limits.


Q.  How will I know when a trickle conditions are in effect?

A.  The Village will post a public notice in the three public places (Village Hall, Gary’s Grocery, and the Birchwood Post Office), on the village website, and a letter will be mailed to all utility customers.


Q.  Can I trickle my water even when the trickle conditions are not in effect?

A.  Yes, if you have had issues in the past or are concerned with your water lines freezing due to extreme temperatures.  You will not receive the trickle credit, unless approved by the Village Board of Trustees.


Q.  How are trickle conditions determined?

A.  The Village of Birchwood is only responsible for the main sections underground to the curb shut off.  The water temperature is tested around town to determine if the frost has gotten down to the water lines.  If water temperatures are averaging between 34-35 degrees then the trickle conditions will go into effect.


If you have further questions or concerns you may contact our Water Supervisor, Tucker Fee, at (715)651-7003.

Questions or Concerns?

Please contact the Village Hall with comments, questions, and/or concerns and we will be happy to help.

Posted in