Sec. 4-46. – Dog license required.

 Any person in the village who owns, harbors or keeps any dog more than five months of age on January 1 of any year or five months of age within the license year, annually, or on or before the date the dog becomes five months of age, shall pay the dog license tax and obtain a license.

(Code 1989, § 7-1-1(a))

State law reference— Dog license, Wis. Stats. § 174.05.


Sec. 4-69. – Late fees.

The village clerk/treasurer shall assess and collect a late fee which on file in the village clerk/treasurer’s office from every owner of a dog five months of age or over if the owner failed to obtain a license prior to April 1 of each year, or within 30 days of acquiring ownership of a licensable dog or if the owner failed to obtain a license on or before the dog reached licensable age. Said late fee shall be charged in addition to the required license fee.

(Code 1989, § 7-1-4)

State law reference— Similar provisions, Wis. Stats. § 174.05(5).


The Sheriff will cause a citation to be issued or a refer the matter to the District Attorney’s Office for potential criminal charges. The penalty for keeping an unlicensed dog is a fine not to exceed $500 or imprisonment in the County Jail not to exceed sixty (60) days, or both, exclusive of court costs.

 State law reference – Wis. Stats. § 174.15


Sec. 4-120. – Animals running at large.

 No person having in his possession or ownership any animal or fowl shall allow the same to run at large within the village. The owner of any animal, whether licensed or unlicensed, shall keep his animal tied or enclosed in a proper enclosure so as not to allow said animal to interfere with the passing public or neighbors. Any animal running at large which is unlicensed and required by state law or village ordinance to be licensed shall be seized and impounded by a humane or law enforcement officer.

A dog or cat shall not be considered to be running at large if it is on a leash not to exceed ten feet in length and under control of a person physically able to control it.

Questions or Concerns?

Please contact the Village Hall with comments, questions, and/or concerns and we will be happy to help.

Posted in