August 2018 Board Meeting Minutes
Birchwood Village Hall. The meeting was called to order by Village President, Virginia Hurckman. Roll Call: Hurckman, Seffinga, Small, Depoister – Present, VanGilder – Absent. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Police Report – Chief reports that Bluegill Festival went smoothly. He had share time with other police departments. He is staying busy and completing training. Report submitted.
Maintenance Report – Ron reports that he continues to raise manholes. The sewer plant has been operating well with no major issues. President Hurckman informs Ron that the lawn mower and truck issue must be resolved no later than the September Board meeting.
Public Comment – None
- Motion by Depoister, second by Seffinga to approve agenda, carried 4-0.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Depoister to approve minutes from July 10th Board Meeting, carried 4-0.
- Griff Ruppel, Northwest Builders in Rice Lake, presentation on the skate park and tennis court remodel. Changes have been made to the tennis court where they will not be putting in new asphalt or removing existing fence; proposal will be sent.
- Ken Henk from St John’s Catholic Church is here to request that the village not continue to charge for quarterly water and sewer fees. It is explained to Mr. Henk that the village is under regulation from the PSC and paying the quarterly service fees is to keep the sewer and water pipes in great condition. The second request was to waive the snow plowing bill of $1600 for 2017-18. It was determined that the church will not have to pay this fee. Future snowplowing will be done after all village streets are cleared. If the church requests sanding, there is a fee applied.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Depoister, to continue with contract rates for Republic Services through the remainder of 2018, carried 4-0.
- Hurckman speaks on behalf of Dale and Vicki Busick regarding the basement at 406 S. Vance. Hurckman states that a contractor will have the basement filled in no later than September 30, 2018.
- Jim Schmitz presents that he has completed the roofing at his property at 322 S. Main St. He said the eves and soffits are being done, the home is completely secured, and the yard is being worked on. President Hurckman instructs Mr. Schmitz that this property must be completed. The Board will not allow for excuses or any more extensions.
- John Depoister is looking to get a grant from LRIP and Washburn
County Highway Dept. for street repairs in 2019. Paquette will get him the information needed to apply.
- Motion by Depoister, second by Seffinga, to accept GovPayNet to provide the Village with credit card transaction processing, carried 4-0.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Small to approve operator license to Amber Reidell and Alexis Streit, carried 4-0.
- Motion by Small, second by Hurckman, to have a bench made for the skate / tennis park in honor of the Dowd Family Foundation thanking them for their generosity.
- Motion by Small, second by Hurckman to approve new bills, payroll and accept Treasurers report, carried 4-0.
- Motion by Hurckman, second by Small to go into closed session, roll call, Hurckman – yes, Small – yes, Seffinga – yes, and Depoister – yes.
- Motion by Small, second by Hurckman, to come out of closed session, roll call, Hurckman – yes, Small – yes, Seffinga – yes, and Depoister – yes.
Motion by Small, second by Seffinga, to adjourn the meeting, carried 4-0.
Submitted by Kathy Paquette, Clerk/Treasurer
Questions or Concerns?
Please contact the Village Hall with comments, questions, and/or concerns and we will be happy to help.